Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Fashion Forward: The Museum at FIT Online Collections

I love fashion.  A lot.  What I love even more is historical fashion:  hoop skirts, flapper dresses, those gorgeous A-line gowns from the 50s, and on and on.  I've always heard that New York's Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT) has a wonderful museum, but I've never had a chance to go in person.  So you can imagine that when I stumbled across FIT's online collections, I had to fight the urge to swoon.  I'll try to be objective in reviewing these collections, but it's going to be difficult.

The best feature of FIT's online presence is the sheer number of objects on display.  You can view hundreds of objects, from the 18th century to the present day, in highly detailed photographs.  For many objects there are multiple images available, each showing a different view, that can be viewed in higher resolutions.  All objects are labeled with the materials they're made of, their date and country of origin, and what designer they come from (if known).  I especially like the descriptions that accompany each object, because for the most part they are short enough to keep your attention, yet still contain some interesting information - like how Vogue likened Chanel's first little black dress to a Ford.

Besides learning about clothes and accessories, there are also detailed biographies of every designer whose work is featured in the online collections.  These biographies are informative but a little lengthy and dry.  I wasn't too interested in reading more than a few, so I can imagine that someone less fashion-oriented might not care too much for this feature.

Although I really enjoy these collections, if I put myself in the shoes of someone who's not so keen on fashion I can see that FIT needs to add more features if it wants to attract a wider audience.  Beyond enlarging the images, there's nothing that's really interactive about the content.  There's also not a lot of variety - it's all clicking and looking - and no real connections between the objects.  It would be worthwhile to create exhibits highlighting how earlier eras influenced later styles and how designers drew on those who came before them.  3D views and interviews with living designers would also add a change of pace to what's already here.

Not that I'm complaining - I could easily spend a few hours or more combing through these collections in wonder.  But I realize that I'm a special case, and that the collections' current format seems designed to appeal to researchers and those of us who are already fashion converts.  It's my feeling that caring about clothes doesn't have to be a snobbish, elite pastime, but can be enjoyed by anyone who like colors and textures and the way they look on the human body.  The Museum at FIT Online Collections need to be spruced up a little bit if they want to convey that message.


The Museum at FIT - Online Collections
Website:  fashionmuseum.fitnyc.edu

No comments:

Post a Comment